Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Time Warp Wednesday: Lenny Kravitz's Let Love Rule

I was a senior in high school when Lenny Kravitz released Let Love Rule. Given a lot of what MTV was playing at the time, this record didn’t sound like other music at the time and Lenny Kravitz sure didn’t look like anyone at the time. Both of these are good things. So when the video for “Let Love Rule” started getting some rotation, I paid attention and bought the album.

One of the elements that made this record so impressive was that Lenny Kravitz, with a few exceptions, played all of the instruments. All of the songs on the album are really strong, but Rosemary has to be my favorite song. And political tracks such as “Mr. Cab Driver” were a welcome addition to the airways in 1989.

What’s strange is that as much as I really dug Let Love Rule, I never really followed his career after this. Sure, I heard the singles, but I was never really motivated to buy another record. Have any of you had any bands that you have done this with?

Let Love Rule


Mr. Cab Driver

0 comments:

Post a Comment